Wednesday, October 24, 2007

How Time Goes By

The Boston Red Sox are in the World Series. In honor of that, I have put "Red Sox Songs" at the top of my list. Why is "Sweet Caroline" a Red Sox Song? Click here to find out. They play it at the games and even have a version with the fans singing. The Sox are sort of winning 9-1 (and it is only the bottom of the 5th). In their last (I believe) 4 games, the Sox have outscored the Indians and now Rockies 39-6. There is a light rain falling over historic Fenway, and bases are now loaded. Sad since there have been 2 outs for the last 10 minutes and 3 runs scored. Insane. The AL is to baseball what the AFC is to football, a powerhouse. Take the best team in either the NFC or NL and they generally pale in comparison to to the AFC/AL. I originally said the Sox in 6, but they may pull it off in 5. I give at least one to the Rockies when they travel back to Denver. I'm thinking that thin air may cause some issues. Rocky Mountain high indeed.

An interesting World Series note for you: I have been to both Fenway to see the Sox and Coors Field to see the Rockies. Both are impressive stadiums for totally separate reasons. Coors is one of those newer stadiums with an amazing mountain view. Fenway though is one of those historic parks and unlike any other I have seen. Sox just scored again making it 10-1...time for a pitching change. I believe this is the first time I watched with such interest. The only other time I came close was when the Astros played 2 years ago. Didn't get to watch much of that because my wife and I were moving up here to Boston. October 23 was officially our 2 year anniversary (12-1, bases loaded and still 2 outs). I can't believe it really. Jen is still loving her position in Maternal Fetal Medicine at the hospital, I am in my last semester in the quest for the Bachelor's Degree, God blessed us with a beautiful home, and even more so we are just 9 weeks away from the birth of our son. People always ask me "do you miss your family?" I answer "well of course you numb nut"(okay maybe not exactly that way). We miss our family very much and wish we/they could be closer. However, we absolutely love it out here and know this is still where God wants us to be right now. Who knows the future, but at this time He has us here. So yes, we miss our family living here (13-1...a record for the Sox in the World Series, bases still loaded and still 2 outs) but we would miss living here like crazy if we were moved back. Kind of hard to explain.

Truly though, what an opportunity. Not everyone can say that they up and moved across the nation. I/we have been to a game at Fenway (something some people only talk about wanting to see), shopping in Martha's Vineyard, swimming on the Cape, Vermont to see the foliage, canoing and hiking in New Hampshire, rafting and lobster in Maine, apple picking western Mass, I met a 49er player for their glory days, I got a job as a teacher, I was sent to Georgia for a cool conference, and I met Ben Affleck! So one of those I made up, but you'll have to guess which one. Absolutely none of this is meant as bragging. Hardly. I am humbled if anything. I am just thankful that God has given us this experience and that through His peace and grace, He does take some of the sadness of being far away from loved ones away.
Also, I don't want to say our move is directly responsible, but the Sox are in the World Series and look pretty poised to win, the Patriots (whom I don't like but give recognition where it is due) are undefeated and wicked talents (still possibly cheaters) and undefeated, the Celtics look hot this year with some actual big name players, and Boston College has moved up to #2 in the latest NCAA rankings. Just saying is all.

A total side note: I watched High School Musical twice last week. I may need to check my man card, but it wasn't too bad. All my students talk about it so in an effort to know them better the lead teacher and I borrowed and watched it. Now I can't get the songs out of my head (Stick the Status Quo being my fav). Here is the thing, the acting was a nightmare. Worst I have ever seen. But the songs and dancing were well performed and more importantly, it is a good clean show for children. That is a rarity these days. No violence. No sex. No cursing. It even teaches some crazy lesson about being yourself and not going along with the crowd just to be cool. Whacky I know. The only unfortunate scandal are those pics of the lead actress, but at least that is something most of the children have no clue about (unlike say Britney Spears who some how makes the local news sometimes). All that to say if you have a child, this movie is great for them. There are preschool children where I work who know the songs and middle schoolers (and adults). That says a lot.
Just for fun, I wanted to repost this video my friend Bryan found on http://www.godtube.com/




Alright, I need sleep. Happy 2 years Boston.
And Go Sox!!!

No comments: