Monday, January 16, 2006

Salem, MA



Finally went into Salem, MA yesterday. It was the coldest day of the year thus far (20 degrees without wind chill...and the wind was aroun 20-30 mph at times). We ate at a great resturant (Victoria Station) and then headed to the Salem Witch Museum. It was a little disappointing, mainly because of how little you get for how much you pay. As I told my dad, it made the 'Hall of President's' at Disney World feel like a huge blast. I did learn some interesting things regarding the witch trails...though I can't think of particulars currently.

The picture of the witch statue is located right outside the musuem.

Even though the musuem was a bust, Salem is still a cool place. There are tons of really old house in Salem. Most featured a plate stating whose house it was, their occupation and when it was built. Of course the majority were from the late 1600's. It's just amazing to see buildings (and a town) that has been around for so long. The picture to the right was Samuel Pickman's home and was built before 1681. I believe it is one of the oldest standing houses around.

We also visited the 'Old Burying Point Cemetery' which is "the oldest burying ground in the city". It dates back to 1637. Numerous old grave stones located here. I am not sure if any of the accused witches are buried here or not. It was so cold I felt like I was about to join the cemetary's permanent residents. It was a chilling thought wondering how many people were hung on the old trees throughout the town.
There was plenty more to see and do in Salem, but as I have already stated it was just too cold and windy. Next time we go back, I hope to visit 'The House of Seven Gables', the 'Peabody Essex Museum', the 'Spellbound Musuem', 'Hollywood House of Wax', and hopefully do the 'Haunted Footsteps Ghost Tour' (just to name a few).

Anyway, that was it for my first trip to Salem. To see all of the pictures, go over to my old MSN Space and select the "Salem, MA" album. I hope to put up some pictures that my friend Bryan took from the Freedom Trail in Boston later this week.

No comments: