Tuesday, June 17, 2008

BEAT L.A. !!!!

I am currently relaxing in our basement. I have my very healthy cheese dip, Fritos Scoops and Coke surrounding me (and Jacob's monitor) and I am enjoying game 6 of the NBA Finals.

I have been able to enjoy the last few years of the NBA Finals as my favorite team, the San Antonio Spurs, have won a handful of titles. Like some people, I could care less about sports if my team is not involved. Sometimes I could care less to watch even when they are. When the playoffs roll around though and teams I love are in, I am engrossed.

I wrote a blog shortly after moving out here about teams I enjoy, but here is a review:

NFL - 49ers & Colts for favorites followed by the Texans, Jets, Lions and a few others.

MLB - Astros & Red Sox for faves and that is all.

NHL - Dallas Stars for fave and the Colorado Avalanche

NCAA - Texas A&M for fave, TCU , Penn State and a few others...but mostly A&M is all I'll keep up with.

NBA - San Antonio Spurs & Celtics for fave and the Rockets and Mavs taking up 2nd and 3rd.

We'll focus on the NBA right now. I am sure many reading this will assume that the only reason the Celtics are on my list is because they are in the finals. Not so. I think basketball was the only sport I played competitively (go R.A.'s!) and so as a child Larry Bird stuck out to me for obvious reasons. I remember an old computer game a friend had that was Bird vs. Magic. For those who don't know, Bird played on the Celtics. Technically they were the first NBA team I knew. Living near Houston though, the Rockets replaced them. After moving out here though, I went to a Celts game and they sucked, but I really enjoyed it. Much like the Red Sox, it was easy to get swept up in fan nation. Some of you may wonder why I did not list the Patriots in the above list. I will get to that in a moment. There are teams that fall into my favorite categories too simply because of a player. For example, Jerry Rice (49ers WR) is my second favorite all time player. When he was traded to the Oakland Raiders, I developed some interest in the team only because he was there. After he left, they fell back into my least favorite category. Kevin Garnet is one of those players. I think he is a great player and kept up with him on the Timberwolves. He was one of those players, like Reggie Miller, who you wanted to see win it all. When he was traded to the Celts, it peeked my interest in the team that much more.

This NBA Finals is especially enjoyable though because I despise the L.A. Lakers with a passion. There are certain teams I loath. The reason for these dark feelings generally falls into one of three categories: 1) arrogant coach 2) cocky, self-centered, arrogant player 0r 3) they consistently spank my team. The Lakers fall into the first two of these. I don't like Phil Jackson or Kobe Bryant. I will quickly give props where it is due even for those I don't like. Jackson is a good coach and Kobe is a good player. Jackson seems to think he is perfect though and everyone falls all over Kobe for no reason. Wasn't he accused of raping a girl? No biggie, he bought his wife a huge diamond and everyone was thrilled. What a great fella. Much like Tom Brady. Sports Illustrated named him "God" in an editorial because of how wonderful he is. Yeah, I like to worship those who get a woman pregnant who he is no longer dating. He is awesome. Oh and the Patriots cheat. No problem. They are undefeated! Ummm they didn't win the Super Bowl so they are not undefeated...sigh...sorry, I still get worked up over that team.

I digress. My least favorite teams are:

NFL - New England Patriots tops the list (for all three reasons) followed by a rotation of other teams like the St. Louis Rams (used to be reason #1 and #3).

MLB - N.Y. Yankees. "Yankees suck". Nuff said.

NHL - ummm, don't care enough to have one. I'll say Ontario just because I know they have a team.

NCAA - T.U. (Texas University). Friggin' tea sippers.

NBA - Lakers, Nets and Suns.

So there it is. I am no longer sure what the point of this blog was. Maybe to mark the occasion of Game 6 which the Celts are leading 53-35 right now with a minute left in the 2nd. Though I will not get excited yet. The Lakers had a 21 point lead in game 4 and the Celts came back to win. Maybe I wanted to make the case that I am not a bandwagon fan (for instance, I rooted for the Giants in the Super Bowl, but they are not one of my faves...though I like Eli Manning). Either way, it is just a fun blog that only three people I personally know will read (props to Jen, Dad and Bryan).

For now, it is half time (58 to 35 baby!) and I need to reheat my dip and get another Coke...and some Tums for dessert.

Nash out.

*Final score : Celtics 131 Lakers 92

No comments: