Monday, December 24, 2007

The Father's Gift

Every human faces trails and adversities in their life. A week ago, my wife and I welcomed into this world our first child. He weighed in at only 5 lbs 8 oz but seemed healthy. About 14 hours after he was born though, he began to experience problems with his breathing. His respiratory rate would sky rocket and plummet in the course of one minute. He was eventually taken up to the neo-natal unit (the intensive care unit for babies) and hooked up to oxygen, an IV and monitors. Obviously a stressful site for any parent.

The next day as I was getting ready, I began/continued to pray that he would improve and be able to come home soon. I thought of him connected to all those different things and how much trouble he was having breathing. Then I began to think God for all the prayers He had already answered. For the baby, for a healthy pregnancy, for a fast delivery, for good doctors and nurses who were taking care of him.

It was then that I began to ponder how God let His son endure such pain. He sent Jesus into this world knowing the horrendous pain He would endure. I could no longer fathom how a Father would allow their son to face such suffering. Not just the agony of the cross, but to take on all the sin of the world and its punishment. The perfect Son of God....born so small and innocent would one day be ridiculed, beaten, whipped up to the point of death, had nails driven through his wrists and feet, spit upon, and hated. I prayed asking how God was able to do that. All I could think was if it were in my power I would never let any harm came to my child. I love him too and to see him in such pain would kill me. I would do anything to take his place.

Then my eyes were opened to a truth Ialready knew, but now could fully understand. God does love His son, yes. But God loves us too. We are God's sons and daughters as well, and He could no longer watch us live in such pain and darkness. God did what most parents can only think about doing in that situation...He took our place. He took our sin, our punishment and our death and gave us the opportunity to wipe the slate clean. That is how much God loves His children. He loved us enough to take our place.

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
1 Corinthians 13:11-13

See, while Christ's death and resurrection does cover everyone’s sin, not all will be forgiven. We all must choose to accept this gift. We choose through believing that Christ is God's son, that He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on a cross and rose from the grave three days later. Knowing that Christ paid the price for our sins, we must ask Him for forgiveness. He will freely give this gift; you must simply believe and trust in Him. I can offer anyone a free gift, but it doesn't mean you have to accept it.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and that your greatest gift will be from your Father.

No comments: