Friday, November 16, 2007

Happy Festivity Month and HA HA HA to You!

Heard both of these unfortunate stories the last two mornings on my local FOX station's morning news show.

An employment company in Australia suggested that their Santa's say "HA HA HA" instead of the traditional "HO HO HO" because it may frighten children and offend women. It seems that the outcry against this possible change prompted the company to back track and state that they could say "HO HO HO".

The second report regards Lowe's. They are racing to fix their "holiday" catalog because they labeled their trees (gasp) "Christmas Trees"! The horror! (Yes, this is true and not some fake report. Click here if you doubt old Rob.)They decided it would be better to call them "Family Trees" as to not offend anyone. On my way to work though I couldn't help but wonder if these family trees might offend someone without a family. What about the single guy or girl who wants to buy one? Wouldn't they be offended by the use of "Family Tree"?

I was discussing this with my co-worker and she brought up a very obvious point that most people don't seem to get. What about all the other holidays? You never hear anyone saying that Kwanzaa or Hanukkah is offensive. "Maybe the word menorah offends me," as my co-worker said. I tried to explain that it is mostly related Christian things like holidays or people praying (see previous post) that get attacked. Say something about one of the above two holidays and you will be labeled a racists. Say something about Christians and no one bats an eye.

Here is the thing. I am cool with you celebrating your holiday, but don't tell me how to celebrate mine. Honestly it makes me sad. Was Jesus born in December? I have no clue, but this is when Christians (hopefully) celebrate his birth. It is sad that year after year a little bit of this celebration is chipped away. One day we will wake up and December 25 will be labeled "Festive Day", and some where down the road we will probably be arrested for going to church. I feel bad for those who don't understand it. So I decided that I will change my 'holiday terminology' as well. I am subtracting "mas" out of my Christmas related words. Next Friday I will put up our Christ tree so we can remember that Jesus paid for our sins on a tree. I will send out Christ cards to those I love sharing in the celebration of Jesus' birth. And on Christ Eve and Day I will celebrate the child who was born who would save mankind from the darkness.

No comments: