Monday, August 27, 2007

Love that Triple-Pane Action!

We finally have our new windows installed! That should be it on major 'repairs' to our new home for a while. I felt bad for the guy doing them. We had nine windows replaced and he was all by himself doing the job. His help had called in sick. He got here around nine on Friday and left after six. He was able to take out all the windows and put the new ones in.

He came back Saturday at eight and worked till about 5:30 installing the trim inside and out as well as caulking and all that stuff. Not bad work really for one person. I was quite impressed with Newpro. They cleaned up everything nicely, cut some wood for me to use on a different project, scrubbed the windows down before leaving...all that good stuff. It is nice to be able to lock the windows now as well as not have every bug of the night sky come in to mate with our lights. It's also nice in the bathroom - we don't have ventilation in there so it can be rather hot after a shower and of course the other more obvious problem. The window in there before wouldn't stay open. I can tell a huge difference in the whole house as far as temperature goes. All that to say it was money well spent...or borrowed, whatever.

The only real snag was having to take our A/C out. I took it out Thursday night which wasn't a problem. We hadn't used it for almost a week because it had been in the 60's. Friday was 80's...warm but bearable. Saturday however was in the upper 90's. It was nasty hot in here (and nothing like a 30 degree temperature jump to make you sick FYI). So by the time the guy left, Jennifer was more than ready for me to put the A/C back in. One look told me we had a problem I didn't want to say out loud. Yep - wouldn't fit in the window anymore. Yes it is the same size window, but I think the sill or some other part raises up high...whatever the problem, the unit was now too tall to fit in the window.
Now Jennifer and I never really have fights. If we do they last maybe 5 minutes before one of us laughs. This basically sent *everyone* off the deep end. Let's just say it was my fault that I didn't predict the future and I do take full responsibility for that. We went to our corners for a while and I went to work on a solution. I ended up putting the A/C at the dining room window. Not the ideal location, but it does work. Actually it was a better fit there, easier to install and is less of an eye sore for the living room as well as curb appeal. Once the cool air was flowing again and the furniture was put back in place, *everyone* was happy again.

All in all a loooong weekend, but things look nice now!

I love the comic strip "Zits". I started reading it at Adams & Coker and then asked Santa for the book collections after we moved here. Anyway, I came across one I wanted to share. This is also the last week of summer camp at work. Things will go back to normal finally next week. My final semester begins September 5! I ordered my books on Amazon and all too late realized I didn't change my default shipping address :(




Hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I do remember one "fight" over a certain person that locked keys in a certain car while the car was running when a certain someone had to be at work and another certain someone had to catch a flight. Good times.

Robert said...

You fool. There was no fight there. And if there was I would have dropped you like a sack of kittens.