Saturday, April 14, 2007

I caught the Red Fever

Today, we went to our very first Red Sox game. I have never been a huge baseball fan. I cheered for the Houston Astros and would keep track of their wins when they made the playoffs. Watched maybe one or two games when they were in the World Series a few years back (though I was moving half way across the Nation then). I have been to games at the Astro Dome, the Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, and Coors Field (Colorado Rockies).

However, this year I have become very excited about the Red Sox. Maybe it is because we are surrounded by Red Sox news and a lot of hype. Maybe it is because cheering for the Red Sox is really exciting. Either way, I have been keeping up with them through spring training and their season. I even bunkered down in a classroom that wasn't being used at college and got the game to project on the board just to watch Dice-K pitch.

When my sister and brother-in-law came out this past August, we went by Fenway which was cool in itself. Going to an actual game was an amazing experience (right up there with getting to go see Les Miserables). The crowd, the fans, the drunk slurs, people saying a player "sucks" and then cheering for him in a 30 second span, and the game itself...it was all a blast. One other reason it may have been so fun was the view. Everyone has said that there are no bad seats at Fenway. I'd have to agree with that. Our seats were in right field, maybe 10 rows away from the field, but even the "nose bleeds" are not that far up. Normally, I am so far away from the action, I couldn't tell if someone was up to bat, much less who it was. It was a little chilly, but it wasn't too big of a deal. I found it kind of funny since the last time I went to a game with my best friend Bryan was wicked hot. One day I will go to a temperature friendly game.

Curt Schilling had a great game. He has come back pretty well after falling flat in the season opener. He pitched all but one inning. David Ortiz totaled 4 R.B.I.'s after hitting a homer in the 8th that put the game out of reach. Soxs beat Anheim 8 to 0. No angels in the outfield today.

Click on the picture to see the rest of the album. Be sure to double-click the pics in the album to enlarge them.


This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

1 comment:

Joy said...

i can't believe you're a red sox fan now.

go yankees!